7. Each of the four women in Commencement has a different kind of mother and a different kind of relationship with hers. How is each girl a reflection of her mother and how do their bonds (or severed bonds) influence their decisions?
8. Poet John Malcolm Brinnin once said, “Proximity is nine-tenths of friendship.” How true is that for these women? How true is it in your own life?
9. What is your favorite college memory?
7. I think all of the characters' mother-daughter relationships demonstrate how influencial that relationship is. April's mom basically abandoned her, and even let her be absused in her own home (I think she HAD to have known) and April spent the rest of her life doing things that she thinks will make her mom accept her. Sally's mother dies and she ends up having the most traditional life of the 4- perhaps her mom's death had a lot to do with the fact that she was so freaked out when she found out she was pregnant. I found Bree's situation incredibly sad- her mom may not have agreed with her choice of lifestyle, but to cut her out of her life was horrible. It's early and I can't remember a thing about Celia's relationship with her mother-sorry!
ReplyDelete8. I don't think it's as high as 9/10- but it's high. Of course, if you are able to keep in touch via technology, I think it makes it a lot more plausible to have "long distance" friends.
9.I didn't have a great college experience- lots of depression and regret during those years. My favorite memory of college was working at the Greek Boutique- it's where I learned to paint. I loved my job there.
Oops- I forgot about the last question. I'd give the book a 5- based on the fact that I was totally engaged and couldn't put it down! Yes, I'd recommend it!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth, agree with what you said about the mothers so will just add that Celia and her mom had a really good relationship, so me it seemed the "most normal" as it was good and supportive and she was still there for them all when they were out of school (bringing food when they heard about April). Oh and that is a tangent, I had a hard time with the reality of Bree just leaving her job...I guess people really do that, but did not seem practical to me...
ReplyDeleteI agree, maybe not 9/10 and it is certainly easier with all the modern communications (I still remember when my 4th grade BFF moved away in 5th grade, we would write letters...so cute...so antiquated now...)BUT, it still takes a lot of work to stay in touch with someone who is not near. I feel like it can go two ways, either you talk a lot and share things like, "I had Cheerios for breakfast" (by the way I had eggs) or if I don't talk often enough with people it turns into, "How are you, good. What's new, nothing..." So I find I have to aim for the first and it does take a lot of work, worth it, but takes effort. For these women I think they stayed amazingly close after graduation, again at some points I did role my eyes and thought, no way they could really do that (hop on planes, quit jobs, stay with one another for weeks) and still live in the real world.
Ok, going to have to comment on the last two later...I'm needed...bye!
My favorite college memory has to be sorority related, really just the whole sorority experience. At SMU greek life is HUGE and most people do it, I found a group of great women to call friends and the sorority house was my home for three years. So very thankful for it.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this book, but would only give it a 3.5, at times I could not put it down, especially once April disappeared, could not stop reading until I knew what happened to her, but this is not something I would need to read again. And yes, I would recommend to a friend, not as in, YOU MUST READ THIS, but more, oh you need something to read and you asked me? Here is an easy read for you.
I agree with all you all have said. I guess the really great friends I have made will always be true friends, no matter what daily circumstances we encounter. I don't need to know many of the little things if I know their heart and know that they'd always be there for me. Still, I need all kinds of friends; near and far. Pre-Hannah, I was much better at keeping in touch.
ReplyDeleteFavorite college memory: strawberries and champagne on a boyfriend's balcony in the wee hours of the morning. Also this awesomely funky coffee shop near my apartment that'd hang out at daily.
I guess I'd recommend it but I didn't love it. I couldn't put it down either toward the end. Maybe I'd give it a 3.
9. My favorite college memory.....my closest friends were three guys who lived in the apartment behind me. So unlike me since I did not hang out with guys in high school - I was way too insecure. But these guys were some of my best friends. They introduced me to Chuy's. ha!
ReplyDelete10. Sorry I haven't been very involved in this book club discussion. I would not be able to give the book a high rating because I didn't get very far in it at all. Once the two girls started making out on the bed, I had to close the book and never open it again.
I really wanted to post my answers to the questions since I am so behind, so I apologize in advance if they do not make sense. I am so tired from Matt being out of town for 4 days, Carter is teething and the tooth just broke through this am and Emma is up at night a few times coughing. I am like a walking zombie. Anyway, I love bookclub...:)
ReplyDeleteI would give the book a 5 or 6. I would not re read it, but I would tell me about the book and have them read it.
I can't even just name one favorite college memory. Seriously I loved college and can't wait to go back and visit. San Diego was the perfect setting for my college experience, beach parties, jamming 10 people in a tiny car to get to Tijuana, jungle juice, frat parties and my favorite country line dancing bar. I used to weigh the smallest shirts out to party in, I am quite embarassed now about that:)
I just watched Sex and city 2 here and I just love their friendship. They are completely honest and true to each other and really want the best for their friends.
Thanks for posting questions..