I am nervous to be the first one to list the book choices, but here I go.. All of the books are available at the library and for purchase at Kindle. Can't wait for our next book.. I am loving the bookclub. It makes me a little less homesick..
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn- Betty Smith
Francie Nolan, avid reader, penny-candy connoisseur, and adroit observer of human nature, has much to ponder in colorful, turn-of-the-century Brooklyn. She grows up with a sweet, tragic father, a severely realistic mother, and an aunt who gives her love too freely--to men, and to a brother who will always be the favored child. Francie learns early the meaning of hunger and the value of a penny. She is her father's child--romantic and hungry for beauty. But she is her mother's child, too--deeply practical and in constant need of truth. Like the Tree of Heaven that grows out of cement or through cellar gratings, resourceful Francie struggles against all odds to survive and thrive.
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford
Henry Lee is a 12-year-old Chinese boy who falls in love with Keiko Okabe, a 12-year-old Japanese girl, while they are scholarship students at a prestigious private school in World War II Seattle. Henry hides the relationship from his parents, who would disown him if they knew he had a Japanese friend. His father insists that Henry wear an "I am Chinese" button everywhere he goes because Japanese residents of Seattle have begun to be shipped off by the thousands to relocation centers. This is an old-fashioned historical novel that alternates between the early 1940s and 1984, after Henry's wife Ethel has died of cancer. A particularly appealing aspect of the story is young Henry's fascination with jazz and his friendship with Sheldon, an older black saxophonist just making a name for himself in the many jazz venues near Henry's home. Other aspects of the story are more typical of the genre: the bullies that plague Henry, his lack of connection with his father, and later with his own son. Readers will care about Henry as he is forced to make decisions and accept circumstances that separate him from both his family and the love of his life.
She's Come Undone- Wally Lamb
In this engaging first novel, narrator Dolores Price recounts her life story from age four to age 40. The troubled product of a stormy marriage, she is already sipping Maalox in grade school. Then her father walks out on her mother, who suffers a nervous collapse, and Dolores moves to her repressive grandmother's house in Rhode Island. By the time she reaches eighth grade, she has only one friend: a boarder who eventually rapes her. Anesthetizing herself with junk food and soap operas, Dolores becomes an obese, isolated young woman who attempts suicide during her first semester in college and spends seven years in a mental institution. Oddly enough, this relentless parade of disasters makes for interesting reading. The author keenly evokes his protagonist's profound alienation and self-loathing, endowing Dolores with a bleak sense of humor that keeps readers rooting for her. Ironically, the book itself "comes undone" as its heroine develops self-esteem, at which point an absorbing portrait of a woman on a collision course with her problems turns into a disappointing series of cliches about love, forgiveness and Dolores's ticking biological clock.
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is the only one I haven't already read.
ReplyDeleteGreat choices Amanda! Thanks for pulling that together so quickly, they all look good! My vote is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, it is one of my favorite novels from childhood and I would love to reread it as an adult to pick up more and see it from a different perspective. (I can't wait for Tessa to be in school and reading so I can read EVERYTHING again...I plan to be one chapter ahead of her...Charlotte's Web here we come!)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I just wanted to mention that one of the reasons I suggested that we each take a turn suggesting the books we read is so that everyone gets a voice and we can learn more about one another through our choices. I actually really love mysteries, so maybe I would toss one on my list, and I have a few really really special books to me that if you all have not read, I would want to add on the list bc I want to share them with you. So that being said, it may come up that one of us has to reread a book we have already read, and I think that is ok. I also think it is ok for each of us to sit out a month if we want, if the book selected is really not something we want to read, or as always, the contribution to the discussion can be, "I read 30 pages and could not read anymore". I hope that we read a wide variety of books, some deeper, some easy reads, fiction and non. I for one am looking to expand my horizons and excited to see what you girls are anxious to read.
Lastly, I am going to set our first bookclub meeting for next Monday, the 11th. So excited to hear what you all have to say. I plan to post the questions in clumps so that we don't get bogged down with responding all at once, and they will go up throughout the day. Sound good?
Can't wait for book club. I will be having a mocha and chocolate crossiant while answering the questions:)
ReplyDeleteThese all look very good Amanda- great choices! My pick would be A Tree Grows in Brooklyn- I've never read it. I agree with Erin- I can't wait to read all my favorites from childhood to my kids. And I already know one of my three choices that I'll have when it's my turn is a book I read in college and loved, and would love to read it again.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for Monday!
Totally agree with you Erin. I loved reading ATGIB (can I call it that?) when I was in high school and you know I never remember books anyway, so I'd love to reread it.
ReplyDeleteMy vote is ATGIB (yes, you can call it that, Naomi!) because I've always heard about it yet never read it.
ReplyDelete