Tuesday, March 15, 2011

April 2011- Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan (First Book!!)

Ladies, looks like we have a few votes for Commencement, so let's start there. It appears to be an easier read, about four friends, and something that should be a nice way to kick off the club. The library has 4 copies, so go reserve yours now! :o)

Synopsis

A sparkling debut novel: a tender story of friendship, a witty take on liberal arts colleges, and a fascinating portrait of the first generation of women who have all the choices in the world, but no clear idea about which choices to make. Classmates their first year at Smith College, Celia, Bree, Sally, and April couldn’t be more different. Alone and together, they soon learn that Smith is a hothouse: of sexual discovery, political activism, female bonding, and carbohydrates eaten with abandon. And although several years after graduation they live far apart, their Smith years have left them fiercely devoted to one another. Schooled in the ideals of feminism, they must decide how it all applies to their real lives in matters of love, work, family, and sex. For Celia, Bree, and Sally, it will mean grappling with one-night stands, loneliness and heartbreak, parental disapproval, and changing maiden names. But for April, whose college activism becomes her life’s work, it will mean something else entirely. Written with radiant style and a wicked sense of humor, Commencement not only captures the intensity of college friendships and first loves, but also explores with great candor the complicated and contradictory landscape facing young women today.

Let's aim to "meet" and discuss mid April, we can finalize a date as we get closer.

Happy reading!

10 comments:

  1. Great!! Can't wait.. Going to get book today and start reading while Emma is at her school... So excited. Feels like I am right there with you all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good one- can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited. I started reading the book on my IPad and it is so good so far.. Totally makes me miss my college days and I began remembering and missing my days of sleeping in and napping during the day and starting to get ready to go out at 9:00pm.. Now it is 8-9 pm bedtime.. I might have had a bit too much fun in college:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is now up at the library, will go pick up today or tomorrow, can't wait to start reading! I too miss the days of sleeping till noon and staying up till 4am...haa haa, getting ready at 9pm bc the parties did not start till 10. Sounds so crazy now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is nuts. Mine's at the library too. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I don't think this book is all that awesome, but I can't put it down. I'm not sleeping very well because of it! I made myself stop reading at 10:30 last night but stayed awake thinking about it until 11. And woke up early to keep reading. No idea why. I need to finish it so I can get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Naomi, interesting. I don't think it is the finest lit I have ever read, but for a nice easy read before bed I am enjoying it. I am not too far into it yet, was going to wait to post some thoughts until I at least got through a chapter on each character, but am finding the pieces about an all women's school interesting, since I went to SMU and it was ALL about the boys, parties, sororities etc. I'm enjoying their strong friendships, and curious to see where they go...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh me too... enjoying it obviously. I really love that we are all reading it together. I didn't have strong women friendships like these girls do. I met a close friend in college, but we have sort of lost touch. I met another in grad school, and we'll always be close, but since Hannah we only talk every few months (she doesn't have kids). Only until meeting other mommy friends did I form really close bonds. So they had the college experience to tie them together and we have common mommy moments to bond us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK girls, I finished it. Ready whenever you'd like to discuss. No rush. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I finished it too. Stayed up last night reading it. I just had to see how it ended.... Let me know when anyone wants to chat about it..

    ReplyDelete