Monday, March 14, 2011

Books to read

Here is the list from Naomi to get us started, let's pick a book soon (like usual, let's try and pick something a bit older so that we can all get from the library/kindle/ipad etc with no problems). Our goal is to not buy them! Let's pick by the end of the week, and set our first club date for mid April.


-Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton. Two poor upper-class Americans marry to live off the wedding presents.
-Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan. Four friends at Smith College and beyond. Very entertaining.
-The Nineteenth Wife by David Eberhoff. Contemporary and historical Mormon polygamy connect the stories of two very different people.
-The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Jesuits in space. Funy, wise, heartbreaking.
-Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips. Funny and clever. The Greek gods are still arounds, living in a shabby -London house and hiring a cleaning woman. And they still have some of their powers.
-The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. If humans vanished, what would happen to the planet? Riveting.
-The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester. The story of two men who helped create the Oxford -English Dictionary.
-The Paris Wife is one of those novels that grabbed hold of me right from the start and never let go. The story starts in the midwest in the early 1920′s, where a young Ernest Hemingway meets and falls for Hadley Richardson, a woman 7 years his senior. I’ve always loved the 20′s — such a culturally revolutionary time for the U.S., so that was probably what first drew me to the story (that and — Paris).
-Tinkers, by Paul Harding
-How to Sleep Alone in a King-Size Bed: A Memoir of Starting Over
-Honeymoon in Tehran by Azadeh Moaveni
-The Possibility of Everything a memoir by Hope Edelman
-Mentor: a memoir by Tom Grimes
-Book of Days personal essays by Emily Fox Gordon
-The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million by Daniel Mendelsohn
-The Other Side of the Sky

4 comments:

  1. Obviously I want to read all of these, since it's my list. I just want to clarify that I got these recommendations from other people so any comments aren't mine. I haven't read any of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote it to start with Commencement. Looks like a nice read, 4 friends. The library has lots of copies. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great.. Let's read Commencement.. Can't wait. I will see if my library has it or I will see if I can get on my Ipad. Looking now and will let you know. Either way, can't wait..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete