Thursday, March 24, 2011

Roll Call and Rules

Ok, since we seem to be off and running I thought we should talk about some ground rules, and since I am just making this up as I go along, let's discuss. How do we want to talk about the book? Part of the fun to me is chatting about it along the way, a little snippet here that spoke to you, can you believe x character did that?, didn't you love when ____, etc. BUT, I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who is not as far along as comments we want to make. So, how to handle? My initial thought is to post in the title, "Comments from page ____, Spoiler Alert if you are not this far" and then it is up to us all to read it or not. Or do we not post anything about the book until book club date?  Speak in general terms and no specifics? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Also, when you post, please say a little bit about yourself, whatever you feel comfortable sharing since this is a public blog and everyone has a different comfort level with privacy and personal information. Just so we know a little bit more about each person at the other end of the comment.

I am having so much fun already, hope you are too!

4 comments:

  1. Well goodness. I guess a title with a spoiler alert is a good idea. I think talking generally about themes would be ok but nothing specific about the book until we are all done.

    I like the questions from this site.
    http://www.litlovers.com/reading-guides/13-fiction/213-commencement-sullivan

    My only problem is going to be forgetting the book after a week or so. If we discuss mid-April, I won't remember much. I don't know why that happens to me... too much short-term info so something has to go? So I'm going to try to read the other books closer to our discussion time. :)

    Also, some of the questions are pretty general, like what do you think of single-sex education? You could post those along the way and we could be answering them without giving away any plot details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good idea to only take in generalalities and not specifics until the agreed upon date. I guess let's also stay in touch with how we are progressing and really, it everyone is done, we can discuss soon after and then pick the next one. But no rush and no pressure of course, we will still plan on mid April to discuss.

    Here is my little bio, my name is Erin, I stay home with my two girls, Tessa and Sophia, which fills up my days, but I also like to read (clearly), scrapbook, craft, and cook. Right now it is just hard to find time for any of it...but I do try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I (Naomi) also stay home. Hannah is 2 and is super chatty and imaginative all of a sudden. I love it.
    I love reading... in fact, I put off having a baby because I was concerned about giving up my reading time. Well, that was ONE reason. I also am really into photography and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi... I am Amanda and my family and I live in Scotland for an assignment for my husband's job. I have two kids, 2 1/2 and 6 months. I am enjoying living in Scotland, but missing a lot of things about the states too.. So excited to be part of a bookclub. I look forward to checking the blog everyday..

    ReplyDelete