Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Topic Tuesday: Children's Books

I thought it would be fun to talk about other things every so often as well, so I have started Topic Tuesday, where we can talk about anything really, just not related to children.  This first one is sort of related, but I wanted to keep it reading themed, answer if you want, don't if you don't want, totally up to you!

What is your favorite Children's book? Series? From your own childhood? Or what you enjoy reading to your child(ren)? What is their favorite book to read?

Have a great week ladies!

10 comments:

  1. Love it. So excited about the Tuesday Topics. I loved the Babysitter's Club series. I would read a book a day:)and Judy Blume!! Are you there God it is me Margaret...
    Ahhh, I just love reading. More to come.. Crying baby:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Me too! I wanted to open a babysitter's club in our attic and even started clearing it out. What mom would let her child go to someone's attic to play?
    I really loved Anne of Green Gables and Avalon. Also Heidi. I still dream of living in the country. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come out and visit Scotland. Lots of houses in the country.. Totally wanted to open up a Babysitter's Club. I made flyers with a friend and we used to babysit together. I think I was like 12... I am just not feeling comfortable leaving the kids with a sitter in Scotland and she is 22!!! Too funny..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I loved loved the babysitters club too, read them all and was so excited when a new one came out! I think they have re-released them, maybe one day our girls can read too. I of course wanted to open a club, remember the "kid's fun box" that they would take with them, totally made one of those!!!

    My all time favorite little kids books are the Arthur series by Marc Brown, I still own numerous and can't walk through a 1/2 price books without seeing if there are any there. Something about that loveable anteater I just can't get enough of.

    I used to love Nancy Drew, and my all time favorite is Cold Sassy Tree, although that is more middle to high school range.

    Oh and LOL about the babysitter, I know, we used to babysit at 13, but would I leave my kids with a 13 year old, not a chance!!! Funny what it looks like from the other side, parents must of trusted us bc we had read the Babysitters Club books. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also used to love when my mom would read to us at bedtime. It must have been tricky to find books that appealed to all three kids. The main time I remember is her sitting on the floor in my room with us around her, reading Charlotte's Web before bedtime. We spent a long time on each book, only reading a few pages each night.

    Hannah is starting to really listen to all the words in books now. She picks random ones out at the library and we read them nonstop, like twice at naptime, twice at bedtime, and sometimes in the car too. I'm sick of "Stinky Clothes" at the moment and have it memorized. BUT, I'm excited for this new change and level of comprehension. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about reading books over and over. Some longer books, I might try to skip a page or two and Emma will say, Mama you skipped a page. And now she loves asking about each character in the books and asking what their parents names are:) Takes a long time to read one book. But it is great she loves reading...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Babysitters Club. One of my favorite memories is getting a box set of the ones where they went on trips- they were white "special" ones- for Christmas. I got in trouble because my mom found me in the bathroom reading in the middle of the night. I also LOVED Sweet Valley High- especially since the responsible twin was named Elizabeth and I could relate to her SO much more than Jessica!

    My very favorite children's book is Bridge to Terabithia. I know the reason I love it so much is we studied it in 5th grade in Mrs. Coveler's class. Mrs. Coveler was my all-time favorite teacher, and she loved that book too. I learned about themes, foreshadowing ("But Leslie, what happens when you DIE? What if you DIE"), and figurative language from that book. I also could relate to Jess being in love with his teacher- not in love in the romantic sense, but I could really relate to Jess' excitement and awe when Ms. Edmunds invites him to Washington for the day. I read BTT to all 5 of my classes when I taught elementary and was SO excited when the movie came out, which I think was excellent.

    G won't be old enough for BTT for awhile, but I can't wait to read him The Tale of Three Trees in a few years- my favorite picture book. I also love The 5 Chinese Brothers and Millions of Cats- has anyone read these? They are silly and kind of morbid, but I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can rememeber reading Millions of Cats to my 3rd graders, for a lesson about numbers, but I can't really remember the story.. Loving reading all the Pinkilious books to Emma now..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a Babysitters Club fan also. And I really loved all the Ramona books. When I was a little older, Anne of Green Gables series became my favorite, and it is still my all-time favorite! I read it to every class I ever taught, and last October I went to Green Gables. It was like a dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth, going to be honest, I don't think I have ever read BTT, I am almost embarrassed, going to reserve it at the library now! I feel like if it is your favorite book ever...it needs to be read!

    We read a variety of things at home with Tessa, usually one book becomes popular and we read it over and over again. She loves to pick out what she wants at the library, and then those are hot for a few weeks. I remember it being so liberating when we could move up from board books...this whole other part of the library was now for us too, oh happy day!! Of course still on board books with Soph...but I try and read to them together and just keep it out of reach from little mouths. :o)

    ReplyDelete