1. How does the opening 1st four sentences set the tone for the novel?
"Serene was a word you could put to Brooklyn, New York. Especially in the
summer of 1912. Somber, as a word, was better. But it did not apply;y to
Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Prairie was lovely and Shenandoah had a
beautiful sound, but you couldn't fit those words into Brooklyn. Serene
was the only word for it: especially on a Saturday afternoon in summer."
summer of 1912. Somber, as a word, was better. But it did not apply;y to
Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Prairie was lovely and Shenandoah had a
beautiful sound, but you couldn't fit those words into Brooklyn. Serene
was the only word for it: especially on a Saturday afternoon in summer."
2.What does the tree in the title refer to? Is it only the Tree of Heaven?
What else could it mean?
What else could it mean?
3. How does Aunt Sissy’s growth as a person mirror Francie’s growth?
4. In what ways is the structure of the novel different from other novels?
I finished the book on the plane last night! So glad to be able to take part.
ReplyDelete1. I wonder if that introduction causes the reader to be open to the sorrow and sacrifice that occur so often in the novel? The writing is thoughtful and meditative, just like this opening, and Smith brings in metaphors and imagery throughout.
2. Resilience. Life. Still thriving through all these bad occurances. Beat the odds. Fighting for survival.
3. Aunt Sissy matures, and her story is heartbreaking and bittersweet in the end.
4. This novel is basically plotless, and yet all kinds of things happen to the characters. (She also makes each character a balance of good and bad, which is interesting.)
Welcome home Naomi!
ReplyDeleteI want to say first off that I loved the book, loved. I was cheering for Francie the whole time and my heart broke every time they were hungry, humiliated, and so clearly very poor. I did though admire how there was no time for feeling sorry for oneself and felt like it was a great picture of a different place at a different time.
I agree with N on the first one, it sets the tone that this is not an easy beach read. There are struggles and hardship, but written in a beautiful way, so not painful to read, sad yes, not nothing I had to skip over.
Love the title and love the references to the tree throughout. It shows that beauty can come anywhere, and even where no one is expected to thrive and grow, one can. Perfect metaphor for Francie.
Aunt Sissy and Francie both grow up and mature and we watch that transformation. Again, it was horrifying to read that her previous 10 babies were stillbirths, but that one in the hospital was saved...makes me thankful to be living in 2011 with modern technology and medicine.
I enjoyed the structure of the novel, how it was basically from Francie's point of view. Found it easy to read and enjoyable. I don't think it was plotless, but rather a bunch of little stories about a bunch of little people to show a whole picture. And it was Francie's life and her growing up, I wanted more at the end, college? Marriage? I like when things tie up in a nice little package. :o)
I liked the book- it wasn't my favorite, but I agree with Erin, I just wanted Francie to succeed and my heart broke for all she had to go through. I love the title too- I don't associate trees with New York- kind of an anomally that one would grow and thrive in such a hostile environment, just like Francie. I do wish the book had more of a structured "plot"- sometimes I didn't understand where the book was going, but I did like all the stories and details about each character.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness - I'm just now getting around to responding (thanks to a little girl who doesn't want to nap today!). But now I can't focus and think of what I want to contribute.
ReplyDeleteI will say, though, that I really enjoyed the book and learning so much about the characters. Heartbreaking stories but still kept me interested.
Traci, I'm right there with you! Nap time reading doesn't work very well when the little one WON'T NAP! :-)
ReplyDelete1. I think the opening sets the poetry of the novel in motion. The book was so heartfelt and rich that when I opened it, I felt as if I could touch, taste, and smell the world it was describing.
2. I think the titled tree is more a metaphor for the characters (Francie, Sissy, Katie, Neely) who push through the concrete of their poverty, and grow strong and lovely.
3. Theirs is a story of maturation. I loved Sissy's character and related a lot to how motherhood rooted and settled her.
4. ATGiB is basically a slice of life narrative (oh hey, I *do* still remember some of my literature degree!), so it's basically an unstructured glimpse into a period of the Nolan's life.
I really like books that keep you moving from one story to the next and back in forth in time, really kept my interest and I didn't want the book to end..
ReplyDeleteWhile reading the book, I kept saying Poor Francie. I just kept thinking why won't her mother accept help from others, even though there was not much help out there, not like we do today. When I was teaching, there was a little homeless boy in my class and his mother did not want anyone to know and did not want any help. It was so sad. I kept giving him snacks in school and extra supplies, but still feel terrible.. I ended having to class CPS and they had to take him away since he told me he had to be out of the house and play at the park until dark, since his mom was in a hotel room doing "business" so sad...
Amanda, good point about Katie never accepting Francie for who she was...once again making me ponder what I think about her. So so sad about the boy your taught, so sad. I can't even imagine. Pride or not, if my children needed ANYTHING and it was out there and I just had to ask or fill out some forms, consider me at the front of the line...
ReplyDelete