Monday, May 16, 2011

ATGIB Bookclub Discussion: Part 2

5.  In a particularly revealing chapter of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Francie's teacher dismisses her essays about everyday life among the poor as "sordid," and, indeed, many of the novel's characters seem to harbor a sense of shame about their poverty. But they also display a remarkable self-reliance (Katie, for example, says she would kill herself and her children before accepting charity). How and why have our society's perceptions of poverty changed—for better or worse—during the last one hundred years?


6. What might Francie's obsession with order - from systematically reading the books in the library from A through Z, to trying every flavor ice cream soda - in turn say about her circumstances and her dreams?





7. Francie observes more than once that women seem to hate other women ("they stuck together for only one thing: to trample on some other woman"), while men, even if they hate each other, stick together against the world. Is this an accurate appraisal of the way things are in the novel?

7 comments:

  1. 5. They didn't have any of the organizations we have now and it was very shameful to accept handouts. At the time, if you didn't have a job, you may have had to enter a workhouse where conditions were awful, families were separated, etc. It wasn't until 1906 that government programs began such as school breakfasts, free shoes, etc began. I'd imagine it was hard to change everyone's mindset to accept these programs. After WWI, only 4% were in poverty, as opposed to 25% before.

    6. I think it says a lot about her. She didn't have many possessions, but she took great care of what she did have. She created a system for herself of things to look forward to. (For me, I have my own systems to make sense out of chaos.)

    7. Maybe sometimes, but her family stuck together. Katie and her sisters helped each other where they could, and when the neighborhood women came together after Johnny's funeral to provide food, etc, that was very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The teacher and her comments on Francie's stories made me very very sad. You could see how it affected her, and it was almost a turning point in her life. I loved the whole bit about the school though, that she used a fake address to go there, and that she loved to learn. Very interesting what you typed N, I did not know any of that...makes sense, if the free programs are not common, then people had a hard time accepting what was offered. It was interesting because they were hard working, but just could not rise out of poverty...which still happens today, the working poor if you will.

    I think her need for order was partially because there was not THAT much that she could do, only the one library and soda shop, and so why not experience it all, and to keep organized, just do it in order. I agree with Naomi, she did take very good care of what she had, which was nice. Again, having so little must make one appreciate what they have.

    This question is interesting, and actually leads into one in the third grouping. I think women tend to be more competitive with one another, and so yes, they/we rally when needed, but in general, it can be ugly out there. In today's society, they always say the biggest "enemy" of one mother is another, judging how things are done. It seems like men can just let things roll off their back easier, and just go with the flow.

    I have a third post of questions, but going to wait and post in the morning and give everyone a chance to answer these today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought the teacher's comments to Francie were so very sad- I think any time a teacher says something to a child that devalues her or discredits her ideas that it is a tragedy. I have several positive and negative comments from teachers (probably all off handed) that are permanently burned in my memory.

    I think there needs to be a balance between refusing to accept help (pride) and taking advantage of the system (laziness, greed). We are supposed to help each other and I think we need to ask for help when we need it, but also work hard to pull ourselves out of whatever situation we're in.

    Amanda, I just read on my phone your comment about your homeless student- oh, that is so heartbreaking. I hope that little boy is safe and protected now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Amanda, that is awful. We help where we can, but yeah, there are so many of these situations and as a teacher, you must see them directly.

    I wanted to mention that I was tearing up just about the entire book. It caught me so emotionally. Mostly, I figured I was sleep deprived and overly feeling, but every time anything slightly emotional was said, I couldn't see the words for my tears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the whole thing was sad. I especially got emotional when they played the North Pole game.

    I'm still trying to decide if I like Katie or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Traci, its funny because when I read the North Pole game in the book, I thought, "Wow that is creative parenting" but seeing you write that makes me rethink it. Clearly I thought it was sad, and you are right, not sure if I like Katie or not...perhaps I like her a little less after reflecting more then I did at first read...

    This is so fun, I love seeing things another way and thinking about it more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. 5. I agree that it frustrated me that Katie wouldn't seek help when her children were suffering, but it also made me admire her tenacity. I think a lot of people in modern society would prefer to accept a handout rather than to work their butts off (as Katie did) to improve their situation.

    6. As a minor OCD indulger (I really don't "suffer" from it - I LOVE to have things in their specific order!), I loved Francie's obsessions! But it was also very touching - a child who has no control over the major things in life has to seek to control the minor things that she CAN.

    7. I read Francie's comment about women and rolled my eyes. As a first time mom, I see so much of this "mommy war" garbage and it drives me nuts. But, like the women in Francie's family, I love how women also have a strong power to bond and overcome together - when we can just figure out how to get along.

    ReplyDelete