Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Topic Tuesday: Mother's Day

In honor of the upcoming holiday, and what will be your FIRST Mother's Day for many of you, let's chat about it. What are your plans?

And let's brag about ourselves a minute, I once saw somewhere that we spend a lot of time talking about our weaknesses and what we are not good at...but today, let's hear about, "What makes you a GREAT mother?" Be honest, be kind to yourself, and share.

Just ran across this quote and it's what made me publish this entry...

"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie".  ~Tenneva Jordan







8 comments:

  1. This is going to sound bad, but I'm actually working on Mother's Day. Not unwillingly- I volunteered. I love my job and I look at it as a "break". I also make a little money, which is never a bad thing!

    I'm a great mom because I have a patience with Grayson I never knew I had. I am NOT a patient person in general, but with Grayson, I really am.

    I'm also learning to be an advocate for him- asking the right questions, pushing for information, etc. I fight for him.

    Happy Mothers Day to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we already had mum's day here and I received a day just relaxing and catching up on my tv:) But I will probably celebrate it again:)

    Well, I think I am a great mom because I am trying really hard to make a little happy life here in Scotland for Emma and Carter and not let them know really how far away we live and how sometimes I get really homesick and sad that family and friends can;t just pop on over for a visit.. I try to make everyday an adventure, whether a trip to a park, Costco or the library or just staying home and building a fort:)
    p.S. You are doing a great job Elizabeth:) Keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rather delighted to be missing our family Mother's Day this year since we'll be out of town. It's just gotten so BIG and annoying.

    I definitely agree with the idea that most moms put their children's wishes above their own. For me, patience is a big factor in why I'm so darn amazing. :) Just kidding. Also, at least for Hannah, I am a well of comfort and I make everything better. I try to find teachable moments all day long. I'm a good cuddler. I listen.

    I don't know... this is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are going to my parents' house this weekend for Mother's Day. Kris wanted to stay home and spend my first Mother's Day with just us, but that's not very special to me. I want to be with my mom and family so we can all celebrate together! Sadie will also be dedicated at my home church that day.

    What makes me a good mom....this is a tough one.....

    I try to randomly quote Bible verses to Sadie throughout the day and sing "Bible songs" to her. I pray aloud over her at night (although sometimes she's already asleep). I want her to learn about Jesus's love early on.

    This morning she was being a cranky mess and we didn't make it to playgroup. I was frustrated for a few minutes and then thought...you know, whatever. I try not to get upset when things don't go as planned - I want to be a mom and not one who has to go-go-go and stick to a schedule. I try to be there for her and let her be a baby/kid. (sniff, she's not much of a baby anymore)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Mother Day Plans are brunch with Michael's family, hosting here at our house, but I am not doing the hosting. We started this last year because it is too hard to go out, and I don't mind offering my house as long as I don't have to do dishes. :o) I am hoping that M will have the girls make me something, but I am not holding my breath. heehee.

    I am a good mother because...this is hard. So hard that it was my brilliant topic starter but it has taken me 24 hours to respond. I am loving, caring, and know everything there is to know about my girls. I try to make each day fun, have a little project or two, and teach as much as I can. I know these years are short and even on days when I get frazzled I try to soak them in. And I will always share my pie...

    Happy Mother's Day to all! E, you do a great job with G, you are truly his biggest champion and you are amazing to watch. A, you have done a great job making Scotland a home and a happy place for your family. It has to be hard hard hard, but selfless to make it all appear normal to them. N, Totally agree about putting their wishes above our own, have a super fun trip and enjoy your solitude on Mother's Day. T, Happy first Mother's Day! So special to be celebrating with your own family. Going with the flow is hard, its commendable to be able to roll with what the day hands us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, you are so positive. Thanks for cheering us all on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure what we're doing on Mother's Day. I'm sure my husband will do a nice dinner for us (hopefully the weather will stay so beautiful so I can park him out on the grill), and I may try to negotiate some baking out of him! All I really want is for Larkin to get over his virus and feel better!

    I've been turning this over in my head since Erin posted it. I wonder why it's so hard for us to brag on ourselves? I'm pretty proud of the way I've adjusted to motherhood. Larkin was an unexpected blessing, and I spent 9 months worrying over how I would deal with being a mom.

    I know it may sound simplistic, but I'm a good mom because of how much I LOVE my son. That may be typical for moms, but I've never really been one to love easily. I was astounded when that little bundle made my heart blossom so full.

    From that love pours other emotions I've never been very good at: patience, peace, compassion, selflessness. Motherhood has been the most amazing development of my life, and I am so thrilled to be celebrating my first real Mother's Day this year!

    Happy Mother's Day, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, what you wrote is beautiful. I'm sure we all have discovered new parts of ourselves through motherhood. I'm glad you wrote what you did.

    ReplyDelete