Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Topic Tuesday: Birthday Parties

What kind of parties did you have as a kid? Big? Small? Family? Friends? What do you plan to take from your childhood parties and do for your own children? Let's take a trip down memory lane!

7 comments:

  1. I had birthday parties up until I was 13, and then my mom told me I was too old for them. This really hurt me- like birthdays weren't important unless you were a kid. Anyway, the parties I did have were fun- skating rink, plaster fun house, the park. My most memorable was when I turned 6- my mom hired Tootie the Clown to come to our house to put on a magic show.

    For Grayson, I want to do simple, fun parties with family and close friends when he's little, and then let him choose what he wants when he's older. I don't think parties have to be big, elaborate, or expensive to be fun and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hearing that some people are having a hard time posting comments, probably a blogger issue. I am having no problems right now, but have in the past, and have found that sometimes if I use a different browser (google chrome, ie, firefox etc) that it will work. I am happy to post for people as well, just email your comments to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FROM NAOMI

    I always had great birthday parties as a kid and I felt special. Even for my first birthday, my mom made a Holly Hobbie cake and decorated it herself from a kit. I can't imagine! Nothing stands out as a memory, but each one was great and I have lots of pictures and memories. Most were at our house with a few friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Planning the girl's parties have really gotten me thinking back to my own childhood birthdays. I had a party every year, and most often it was a sleepover with 10 giggling girls sprawled all over the den floor, playing light as a feather until the wee hours of the morning. I also have a very vivid skating rink party memory. My birthday is in Dec, when school is out, so we always did a party in Jan or Feb...and they were always special. I think everyone should be special on their big day, and it should be fun from morning till night. I make a big deal for the girls, I want them to look back at pics and eventually have memories and know they were loved.

    This whole topic idea started when I was watching Oprah behind the scenes and she said that no one ever celebrated her bday when she was young, and I thought, that makes me sad...I wonder how other people remember their childhoods?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember one slumber party where it seemed as though all the girls had the same Strawberry Shortcake sleeping bag. We have pictures that look like our living room was covered in pink carpet. I also specifically remember my 8th birthday, a carnival. I came up with all the games/booths.

    I didn't have a party every year, but there was always some sort of celebration - either my cousin coming to spend the night or going to dinner with the family. Also, my grandmother made birthday/wedding cakes, so each year I got to choose my special cake - there was a panda bear, I also had a Holly Hobbie cake, a cat, a girl talking on the phone....

    I hope I do a good job of making my children (and Kris) feel extra special on their big days. Everyone deserves a day that's all about them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My birthday is July 4th, so I always had two birthday celebrations growing up. One on my actual birthday with family (friends usually had family plans or were traveling), and then one on the closest weekend with my girlfriends.

    Even with two parties, birthdays were low key - fun but not extravagant. With the family party, I always got to pick the entire menu, which made me feel pretty special.

    Friend parties were typically sleepovers, very fun. We used to make music videos (one old friend recently busted out the VHSs we made back in the day), talk about boys, play Bloody Mary in the mirror - good times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FROM AMANDA

    I love love love birthdays. I can’t really even remember many of my birthday parties, except swimming parties and sleepovers. We stayed out a lot in a tent in my backyard. There were not really big parties but just a few close friends. We have never really lived close to family members when we were growing up and now, so the parties are never too big…. I would love to have family at every birthday though. It is fun for everyone to get together and celebrate.

    I am really trying to not get carried away with the kid’s birthdays, but I have to say Emma is really excited about her upcoming birthday.

    ReplyDelete