Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Last Summer of You and Me: Discussion I

1. Early on, we learn of the different beaches associated with each character: a Riley beach "was when little grains of sand whipped like glass against your skin and the surf was ragged and punishing"; a Paul beach has "low-tide crunchy sand, a sharp drop-off to the water, and a close army of rough, green waves"; and an Alice beach "was truly rare, and it involved tide pools." Discuss these three characters in relation to the beaches named after them. Are the names appropriate or ironic?  

2. The school psychologist whom Riley is taken to in the fifth grade explains that the mind "has an immune system of its own." When dealing with distress, "it surrounds the offending element like a germ and stops its spread." Discuss the thematic significance of this passage. How does the "immune system" of each character's mind influence their actions throughout the novel?  

3. Riley's sexuality is a subject of speculation for many characters in the novel. At one point, Paul guiltily considers the question: "Was Riley gay? Was she sexual at all? Was she lonely?" What answers does the novel offer? Are these questions even relevant to understanding who Riley is? Or are they, as Paul thinks, a subject for "smaller minds"?  

7 comments:

  1. I will have to come back to question #1 because I apparently have no brain cells today and can't think of what I want to say about that.

    #2 I think for Alice and Riley, their way of dealing with distress was just to shut down and run away, which I didn't understand. I was so frustrated when she found out about R's illness and neither of them would tell Paul and they just shut him out. Why? I didn't get that at all. For Paul, I think in his mind anything associated with his dysfunctional family was to be gotten rid of so he did- he sold the house, gave away millions, etc. I guess all 3 of the characters tried to run away from their problems.

    #3 I never thought Riley was gay. But, throughout the whole novel, I didn't think Riley's character was developed enough- I kept wanting to know more about her and her past. I really didn't get a sense of who she was at all- one part of the book I really didn't like

    ReplyDelete
  2. FROM NAOMI

    2. One example is Paul and how he changes after he realizes why Alice was avoiding him. He's like a snowball getting out of control with his anger but he then uses the experience to recognize that he should change and to make him a better friend.
    It's also at play for the three years that he avoided summers on the island, trying to put Alice out of his mind. Neither he nor Alice succeed, but they do try.

    3. I think as Paul does. Who cares? I don't think she was lonely. At least she didn't act like she realized the difference between her and the other lifeguards. She seemed to be content with her sister, Paul, her family, the ocean and dolphins, and her love of physical activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I get the Riley beach description, especially as we learn later in the book more about what happens to her. When it was first described, though, I'm not sure that I really got the connection. And I don't think I can really put into words anything that makes sense for the other two beaches!

    2. They all become someone calloused towards things in their lives that they don't want to face. I agree with Elizabeth....I was getting so very very frustrated that they didn't tell Paul about R's illness. I got mad at Riley and Alice. Come on, Alice! You made a promise, yes, but it was a stupid promise if you ask me. R needed to get over it, and A needed to be strong and admit her relationship with P so that they could get everything out in the open!

    3. I don't think R was gay or lonely either. She was satisfied with her family and small circle of friends. I think we saw a glimpse of her feminine side when she wanted a really nice dress to wear to the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ladies: Ok, I have a confession to make...I did not finish the book. It did not hook me at all, I read about 50 pages (?? maybe? maybe 20 maybe 100?) and then flipped to where I learned who was sick and then read to the end. So basically I did not read the middle. If memory serves me, I don't think I could make it through Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants either, so perhaps something with her writing and I don't jive. (I also have a terrible time with British lit...I get lost in the vernacular and can't seem to follow...anyhoo, not that anyone cares.)

    I have very much been enjoying reading your comments and thoughts on the book, pulls it more together for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! Erin- read the comment I just made. I didn't like it either. And I didn't read the "Traveling Pants" books either- but my sister LOVED them (remember she's 12 years younger than me) so I figured her "adult" book would be good. Ummm...yeah.

    Ya'll I feel SO bad- so much for googling "summer beach reads" to pick a bookclub book- ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. E-For sure don't feel bad...seriously we win some we lose some...still good discussion, even if about how we did not love it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really did like the book, but after each chapter I kept hoping it would tell more about each character, especially Riley.. I did think she was lonely and did enjoy Paul's company. But I felt that the book did not answer a lot of the questions about her..
    Did not understand the comments about the names of the names of the beaches. I kept having to go back and see if I skipped a few pages.
    I felt that some parts of the book reminded Beaches and the book Summer Sisters.. I love the movie Beaches...

    ReplyDelete