Monday, August 15, 2011

One Sunday Morning: Discussion II


6. In a way, Billy Holmes is the one who is "keeping up appearances". As his conflict becomes apparent, how does this affect the other characters? And do you think it's a conflict that is of its era or do some of the same complications exist today?

7. Mary and Geoffrey discuss their feelings about weddings and about the institution of marriage. (Pages 89-90) How are their responses different from each other, and what might this tell us about their possible future together? Do you feel that the questions they raise here are still pertinent in today's world?

8. With which character in this story did you most identify, and why?

9. Which character do you think learns the most, or changes the most, in this story, and why?

10. Did the ending satisfy you?
    11. Overall thoughts and please rate 1-5.

    6 comments:

    1. The ending did not satisfy me, I really felt the book was weak and at the end I was perplexed as to the point. Perhaps if they had come back to America from Paris and tied everything up I would feel more fulfilled. I tend to like when everything is wrapped up in a neat package at the end.

      I give the book two stars.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I agree that the book overall wasn't very satisfying and I'd also give it 2 stars. I did like the truth when it was revealed and how it showed that all the assumptions we often jump to can be wrong. I've read a couple other books since this one and I'm having trouble remembering the characters well enough to comment intelligently!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I finished the book last night and wanted to scream! I had so many unanswered questions. Since it doesn't seem as though anyone really got into this book (if they got around to it at all), I won't answer the specific questions. I'll just agree with E and N....2 stars.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Traci-I think I remember enough to engage in some conversation, any of those questions you had that you wanted to talk about? Or more just general frustration that it ended so suddenly and where was the wrap up?? :o)

      ReplyDelete
    5. I didn't really understand why Billy was being so secretive. Why try to hide the fact that he was helping someone?

      I think maybe Mary knew that there wouldn't be a future with Geoffrey after the comment about marriage and the fact that he'd only kissed her once and treated her as a friend. Is the question about marriage still pertinent? Yes, I think so.

      I identified most with Mary because I seemed to have lots of guys in my past who I was very interested in, who seemed interested in me, but in the end they just liked me as a friend. I've been led on many times. Maybe because I made myself available to them and would do random things (like Mary did - going for a walk in the middle of the night/morning because he asked her to) in hopes that it would make them like me for more than a friend?

      Who learned/changed the most....Iris. She gained a lot of confidence, and in the end got what she never thought she'd have. (I'm assuming she ended up marrying.)

      ReplyDelete
    6. The part where it came out what Billy and Lizzie were doing together that night was an ah ha moment for me, as in AH HA, there was no affair, no issues, they were just trying to help the stranger out, but I agree, why so secretive? We don't really know what he ever told his finance, turned wife (can't recall her name), that sent her over the edge. But then later she married him anyway, so clearly it was not that bad, or she was just willing to overlook it, as she did with his manic behavior.

      Mary and Geoffrey, I saw that as going no where as well, and felt bad for her that she kept jumping through hoops to spend time with him. I think we have all been there!!

      It's funny, when I saw Iris I thought, wasn't she in the last book?? :o) Then I recalled when she was, ha. She had a huge transformation for sure.

      I guess for me, I did not really understand the point of the tale, so these people know each other and then ALL decide to go to Paris together, and Lizzie just happens to be there? Again, perhaps if they had come back to NY, and tied up loose ends, I would have been more satisfied. Would be curious to read her other works since they seem much better received.

      ReplyDelete