Monday, August 15, 2011

One Sunday Morning: Discussion I




  1. The book opens with the scene in which the girls see Lizzie Carswell from a window. This scene is then repeated a few pages later as it happens in the narrative. This passage then ends the book as well. How does the effect of the passage change each time it appears? What is the effect of this repetition on the reader?

  2. At the time, Mary wonders if what they've observed would have seemed quite so important if Betsy Owen had not commented on it. In what ways does Betsy's comment serve to give a meaning to the scene of Lizzie leaving the hotel? Why are Lizzie's actions important to her?

  3. This story takes place during the years of Prohibition, and yet it also shows how free the times were for young people of a certain class, with speakeasies and plenty of alcohol and drugs, and a tolerance of transgressive behavior. Does this set up a contradiction in the characters' lives? In what ways is this revealed?

  4. What do you think it is that attracts Mary to Geoffrey Rice? What does this attraction reveal about her character?

  5. Of all the women, Lucy Collins seems to be the one who most aggressively pursues exposing Billy and, yet, on a closer look, Lucy is also the one who has a secret. Does this seem a contradiction? Lucy, also, has made the most traditional choices of all, marrying young, etc., yet she has enormous conflict about the choices she has made and not pursuing other roads. Is this true for women today?

3 comments:

  1. Ok, going to comment. The reason I have not yet commented is because I did not find too much depth in this book and threrfore am having a hard time coming up with anything brilliant to say...

    I liked the opening scene and I thought back to it throughout the book. It is interesting how one thing looked one way to them all, but as we get further into the book, we see that it was not the case at all. It is a good lesson to really not judge when we don't know the whole story. I did like when we learned the real reason why Lizzie was with Billy, and you can see everything fit into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladies, I have to admit I did not get this one read. In fact, I returned some books to the library today that I've checked out twice and never managed to open. I've just not had much free time lately - and all of that is spent getting ready for Larkin's first birthday, dealing with my blog transfer and preparing to move houses (YAY!). I do hope to get back in the swing of it next month! Also, if anyone is interested, I have moved my blog (which is why I just now realized how behind I am here!). My new site is http://www.wonderlandfound.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just saw that the blog roll is on top of my move! Yay! Thanks, Erin!

    ReplyDelete