11. What is Mama really like? When she sees Claire in the hospital, Mama’s accent disappears and she won’t let Meghann touch her. What do these little choices reveal about Mama? Do you believe she loved her daughters? Was she capable of love? And how did their mother’s view of love shape the girls sense of worth?
12. Joe is carrying a heavy burden and has been for several years. The death of his wife–and his part in it–has eroded a part of his soul. Do you think Claire is right when she says, “She shouldn’t have asked it of you?” If Diana truly loved Joe, would she have asked such a thing of him, knowing the cost? And should Joe have done it? Do you consider euthanasia an act of mercy or murder?
13. Were you surprised by the ending of the novel? Was it organic to the story, or did you feel it was too easy? What would have happened to Meghann and Joe and Ali if Claire had been less fortunate?
14. Please rate the novel 1-5.
11. Oy, don't get me started on Mama. What an effort she made to cover up her true self and emotions. Didn't she say something about how she left Claire's father because he was too good? She must have a terrible self concept. I did like how talking about and dealing with Mama drew the sisters closer together. I also liked the point that you just can't change people. They can give what they can give and no sense expecting more from them.
ReplyDelete12. This was my favorite part of the book. I liked reading about Joe and his struggles as he eventually decided to go back home. His and Meghann's romance was great. I kept wishing for more! Maybe I should read some romance novels or something. I have never truly understood what is so wrong with euthanasia. In her last few days, in unbearable pain, what's the harm? If you love someone and are in a position to help relieve their suffering, why not?
The stigma put on Joe was surprising to me, but I guess there were people who understood and remained his friends. I understand why he wouldn't want to be active in the medical field after all that.
13. I was good with the ending. I got so absorbed in the story that I was ecstatic when Claire made it through the emergency surgery and was fine. The mother/daughter aspect was just heartbreaking.
What would have happened to them? Hmm. Maybe Joe would have felt like a failure yet again and continued his solitary existence. Maybe Meghann would stay and raise Ali and have a real father/daughter relationship with Sam. Maybe she could also reach out to Joe and make it work.
14. I must say that Amanda started telling me about Kristen Hannah maybe 2 years ago but I still hadn't read anything by her. I see now what all the rage was about! I was utterly absorbed in the story and read this book in 2 days. I know it isn't fine literature, but I enjoyed it very much. I give it a 4. Amanda, what of hers should I read next?
Oh heavens, I can't believe I never answered, I really really enjoyed this book, as I have enjoyed everything I have read by her. Naomi, you need to read Night Road, it is AMAZING (but have some tissues), and really anything else she has written are good...but for sure start there. I give this book a 4 as well, I could not put it down. I was very happy with the ending and loved that Joe and Meghann were together and that Claire survived, I like happy endings. :o)
ReplyDeleteI love Kristin Hannah books.. Everything I have read of hers is good.. I agree with Erin about Night Road, good book for sure. I enjoyed this book as well and every night when all the company was asleep I had good intentions of writing my answers and I can't believe I never got around to it.. 6 extra people in a small house is tooo much... I am still recovering.. I read the book in a few nights as well and I will give it 4 stars... Wish we could have all gotten together to discuss this book and all the other questions it brings up:( Someday..:) Thankful for this bookclub for sure!!!! Happy Almost New Year....
ReplyDelete