6. What drew you to each character? With which character did you sympathize? Did your opinions change over the course of the story?
7. The medical crisis is ultimately the catalyst for change in the novel. As is often true, terrible times can bring out both the best and the worst in people. In many ways it can be said that Meghann became her best self during the tragedy with her sister and ultimately even helped to save Claire. But how did the crisis–and Claire–save Meghann? How does the idea of death bring Meghann and Claire closer together? How does it push them apart?
8. In Between Sisters there is a deeply symbiotic relationship between the characters and the place in which they live. Each sister is defined to a great extent by where she lives. Meghann learns to adapt to, and even love, Claire’s hometown. Could Claire ever be as happy in Meghann’s world?
9. After a lifetime of responsible, rational decisions, Claire falls in love with Bobby in one evening. Or does she? Does she really believe in love at first sight? Do you?
10. Was Claire right not to tell Bobby about her illness? Did you understand her decision? About this choice to protect her husband, Claire says to her father, “You can sacrifice for them. Isn’t that what love is?” What does this scene tell you about Claire’s idea of love?
6. I was drawn to Meghann because I liked how she got things done. I was drawn to Claire because she followed her instincts and what felt right to her, staying home to do work that was satisfying to her and be close to her friends.
ReplyDelete9. Well it does seem that Claire fell in a trance when she met Bobby, but the feeling was true and lasting. Well I just don't know about this question. I suppose she was looking for this person all her life in some way and when she saw him, she just KNEW.
I don't believe in love at first sight. At least, I don't think so. What do I know?
10. I understand her decision but I don't think she was right to decide for him or to possibly deny him the time with her. Sacrificing for love... maybe she hasn't had enough unconditional love in her life.