2. When Iris gets the call from the psychiatric hospital, she is put in a very difficult position. What does she stand to gain and lose from the decision she eventually makes? What would you do in her shoes?
3. How have years of incarceration affected Esme? Has she retained any of the qualities we see in young Esme, before she is committed? Does she seem sane to you? Why is Esme purportedly admitted to Cauldstone? Why do you think she was sent there, and never sent home?
4. O’Farrell’s novel is steeped in secrets. As the story of Esme and Kitty unfolds simultaneously with the story of Iris and Alex, O’Farrell offers clues about the true nature of the relationships between these characters. How do these two stories relate to each other?
Ok, finally a moment to sit and write. I was so excited to talk about this book, that is why there are a fair amount of questions, because it was hard for me to eliminate too too many of them.
ReplyDelete1. I think the scenes from India show us that the family was well off, but also their inner workings and how they function as a unit. That Esme was always a bit different, not a rule follower, and Kitty did as asked. The parents were not terribly loving or caring, but my guess is that was commonplace for the time. For me it sort of set the tone of the book and that carried over once they returned home to Scotland.
2. I can't even imagine getting a call that some long lost relative is now in my car. I don't think she really had much to gain or lose at the beginning, she knew nothing about her, and certainly did not know that her whole life was in effect a lie and sham, in the long run she gained the truth, but I suppose it could have been bad and she could have had plenty to lose. Not sure what I would have done, perhaps the steps to help this person find another place to live, to to take them in, an unknown person, probably not.
3. The whole committed thing was very hard to read, and I think she was sent there for not listening and being different, for daring to try on her mother's nightgown, keep her hair long, and to want to continue to go to school. The rape put her over the edge and with the screaming, I can see that she needed help, but not to be sent away, FOREVER. I am not sure why they never let her out, maybe they did not want her back in the family, I mean really, Kitty never spoke of her...oh just got it, "The Vanishing Act", it's like she just disappeared huh? I think she is sane, quirky yes, her own person, yes, but insane, no. I do think 61 years in an institution would make anyone a little batty, so maybe if something was there, it was only intensified over time.
4. While reading the book, I was so interested in the past and the story of Kitty and Esme that to me the plot of Iris and Alex was a bit trivial and flip flip, get me back to the good stuff. The secrets were amazing and as they unfolded, it was fascinating to learn more and more. I have another question that touches more on this, so going to wait and talk more at that time. I am not sure how these stories related to each other, anyone?
1. I loved the scenes in India. It felt so vibrant and rich. They also gave a great foundation for the tense family/social dynamic that would impact the story.
ReplyDelete2. Iris's behavior towards Esme initially seems to stem strictly from curiosity, before falling into sympathy. It's an intense situation to imagine. I'd like to think I would do the right thing, but how intimidating to take in a mysterious relative who has been in a mental institution for 60 years!
3. This novel was a fun flashback to my college women's lit class, where we read stories like Chopin's The Awakening and Gillman's The Yellow Wallpaper (a great short story... if you enjoyed this book, Google it - you can find the whole story online) and researched how women were treated in that era. Women were committed to house arrest or insane asylums for such disorders as being argumentative or enjoying sexual intercourse. Being "different" and the ending up pregnant out of wedlock was DEFINITELY worthy of being committed for life. Once committed, many previously sane women did lose their mind (which likely happened to Esme), understandable given the horrific methods of treatment they offered in those days.
4. I loved the way she weaved these stories together so artfully, especially the way Alex and Iris's relationship was halted by Kitty - who wasn't even the real grandmother!
Just now I have a moment to write a little:) Also,meant to post earlier that I met a little girl at the park named Esme. I smiled when I heard her name.. I really enjoyed reading this book because I could not put it down and it took place in Scotland. It made me feel not so far away and connected to you all:)
ReplyDeleteKitty and Esme remind me of my sister, we love each other and are great friends but we are totally different..
At the beginning with the scenes of India is showed that the girls were not really raised by their parents, and they were not all that close and sort of in the way..
Me, not having much extended family close by and living for that matter, I think I would have for sure went to the hospital and have gotten Esme out. I agree that she was a little scared by what she was going to see and how Iris could react, but it is FAMILY...
I definitely think that Esme seemed sane when Iris picked her up, but I mean how could she be. With all the decades she was in there, I just could not imagine what they did to her and what things she saw. Breaks my heart she was in there so long for being different from her sister and not following what her parents wanted her to do. I guess she was in there as long as her parents or sister did not come and get her:(
I kept rooting for Iris and Alex and was disappointed with the ending, but have to think they might have ended up together. I guess it is a tricky situation with sort of stepsiblings..
More to come.. breakfast time....
Sarah, thanks for the further reading suggestions, I had seen that book mentioned when searching for questions, adding to library list now!
ReplyDelete