Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Such a Pretty Face: Bookclub Discussion III

10. Were there any scenes in Such a Pretty Face that made you cry? Laugh? Reflect on your own life? What was your favorite scene? 


11. There are many serious issues discussed in the book: obesity, anorexia, childhood abuse, gay marriage, divorce, self-esteem problems, death, grief, relationship issues, mental illness, and so on, but there are also humorous scenes. Did the author balance the two correctly? 


12. What advice would you give Stevie for her future?


13. Please rate this book 1-5 stars.

8 comments:

  1. 10. I didn't actually cry, but there were plenty of scenes that horrified me and I could have cried-the scene at the bridge and the way Stevie was treated by people. Oh and the way Crystal treated the family with the boy who had been hurt by the hospital (and big thanks to Erin for warning me not to read the book the day of G's surgery!)just infuriated me.

    I thought the anniversary party was hilarious, and the scene wher the invitations got mixed up. Oh and I always laughed at Lance's blow up dolls and their ridiculous names.

    11. Yes, I thought it was a great balance. It could have been a super depressing book but the funny scenes broke up the sadness and made me want to keep reading.

    12. Stick with Jake and don't keep any toxic people around you!

    13. 5 stars- I loved it. Want to read more from this author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will write my comments soon.. Loved, loved, loved the book.. 5 stars..

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10. I did laugh a few times, though I don't remember when - probably involving Stevie's friend Gina. My favorite scenes were the ones with Stevie and Jake. I liked watching Stevie overcome her insecurities and find happiness. I also was somewhat fascinated at first with what Helen would come up with next, but I got real sick of her real fast. (Sorry for my honesty here!)

    11. Uh, nope, don't think she balanced them well at all. I agree that the book is heartwarming, but it seemed unrealistic that there were so many negatives all together.
    Each "evil" character had one redeeming quality that made me keep reading and hoping for a turnaround (Crystal with her hugs, Herbert with that one mention of something in his eyes, Eileen with her apology and insecurity, Helen with her "bad Helen" comments, etc. I think Lamb tried to tackle way too many issues at once... Republicans, gay marriage, prejudice against overweight people, etc.

    12. Advice for Stevie: I like Elizabeth's comment. I think she's on the right track.

    13. 1 star. I hope I haven't offended any of you who loved the book. I just really didn't. I kept reading it and hating it and trying to make it end. Such generalities and repetitions really turned me off. What was up with the corn? I thought it was too long and too juvenile.
    BUT... I am looking forward to reading everyone's comments to hear what you liked about it so much. Maybe I missed something completely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the book and will answer these questions tomorrow, really enjoying reading everyone's comments. This is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10. I never cried, but I certainly was horrified and angry a lot. And being a parent all I can go back to is the pain of your mother treating you that way, in her right mind or not, makes me want to hug my girls a bit tighter. I just can't imagine a young child, or any child really thinking that their parent does not care. I loved loved the anniversary party and had to laugh that Aunt Janet chose THAT moment to stand up to him. Love it.

    11. I think there was a balance, but again for me, a bit too much in the past, and yes, the corn, I never understood that. Yes, I needed to understand the past, but I felt like I got it...let's move forward now. I feel like the book was not about what I thought it would be, which is fine, I enjoyed it, but I did not realize so much would be about WHY she overate and got in that position, which was interesting, but again, I like happy endings, so I wanted that wedding between her and Jake. :o)

    12. For sure stick with Jake and Polly and Lance. I really really loved the love and care between the cousins. How lucky to have each other!!!!!

    13. I am giving this book 4 stars. I very much enjoyed it, and want to see what else she has written. Oh and a ps, I read "Black and Blue" on my own after it did not win, very good....well written read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking a lot about Lamb's decision to make the characters so one dimmensional. I don't think it was done without a purpose and I've been contemplating what her purpose was.

    Here's what I think- she wanted to tackle a ton of really tough topics in the novel. To put mental illness, murder/suicide, depression, obesity, anorexia, toxic frienships, homosexuality, medical negligence, abusive marriages, etc, etc, etc, all in one book is really ambitious. Without humor, there's no way I could muddle through all that- too much, too heavy. But she wrote it in a way that brings humor and a lightness to the novel- by making the characters so extreme, ridiculous caricatures. For example, everytime a new chapter about Eileen started, I really wanted to find out what outlandish thing she was going to say to Stevie. I couldn't wait for the anniversary party chapter because I knew it was going to be over the top. It's fiction and the characters were representations of character traits, not necessarily whole, rounded people. I thought it was brilliant, but that's just me. I don't know if this makes any sense at all, but here you go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found myself feeling all emotions while reading this book and that is why I couldn't put it down. I really enjoy books that take me away from my daily life even for a few minutes and let me think about and enjoy something else.. I found myself just reading a few pages here and there, since I did not want it to end..
    I agree that she did address many topics in this book and she really couldn't elaborate on any one item since that did not make the book whole.. I enjoy books that make me chuckle a little and I find myself thinking about the book when I am done reading it and moved on to another one..
    Henry's sisters, I think that is another one of her books she has written is a really good read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm enjoying reading everyone's comments about the book and how it sparked memories of different experiences for you.

    ReplyDelete