Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Reading Promise: Book Club Discussion

This is the first time that I can not find a list or lists of brilliant questions to pull from, so I am going to post a few, and please, if anyone else has anything else, please ask, either do a new post, or in the comments and we can discuss from there.

1. Was the book what you thought it would be about based on the title?

2. There were times when they ready at 11:55pm, or worked it into the day at an odd hour in order to keep the promise, why do you think this was so important to them?

3. How feasible do you think a promise of this sort would be? Would you like to try with your own children?

4. What are your memories of reading as a child? Did/Do you have a favorite book, either as a child or now? Is there a book that you can read over and over again and never get tired of it?

5. Overall thoughts and impressions, and please rate the book from 1 to 5.

6 comments:

  1. 1. This book was not what I thought it would be about based on what I had read, I found it to be more about their life and those quirks and less about what they read. I was hoping it would be more about the books they read, and how those impacted their lives etc.

    2. I thought it was cute how they were so creative to fit in reading every day. I think it was important because if you miss a day, well then it is over...so at some point you are compelled to never miss and never break it. I was sad for them when it ended when she went off to college, because it was clearly a special thing between them.

    3. I don't think it would be terribly easy, and thus I commend them. Sure, now, very easy to read to my little ones, but once there are activities and they drive, would be very tough. I think I will just read to them as long as I can, and hopefully one day they will read to me, but I know that it will then turn to reading on your own before bed...maybe once a week or something we could still read aloud, I'll think about that.

    4. I am and always have been an avid reader, my father is the same way, we read anything, cereal boxes, books, junk mail, because we just have to read. I get anxious when I don't have a next book to read on my bed side table and have to read before bed to settle down for the night. One of my favorite current authors is Lisa See, who wrote "Snowflower and the Secret Fan", which I know I have already gone on and on about to you all. I am slightly taken in by the Chinese culture and the stories she writes and have read all that she has written. As a child I remember reading a lot of Nancy Drew, and then of course the classics like Charlotte's Web etc.

    5.I rate this book a 2, as I enjoyed it, but would have liked more about the books, less about their quirky life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I was a tad disappointed. Like Erin, I could have done without all the dialog. I mean honestly, after all this time, was it even accurate? I would have also preferred to know the impact the stories...and the special time with her dad...had on her.

    2. I think The Streak was a constant and represented the stability the dad was trying to maintain (attain?) in Alice's life.

    3. I am all for family traditions and look back fondly on some special ones I has with my dad. I will try to do that for my daughter, but to set a daily goal would be setting myself up for failure. I also would fear that she might come to resent the time...for instance if I interrupted drama rehearsal.

    4. My childhood memories are filled with trips to the library. When I was very small my favorite book was "The Lonely Doll." it's about a doll who is left home alone and gets into lots of mischief with some Teddy bears. during the elementary years I was all about Clifford. Amelia Bedelia, Ramona, Judy Blume...

    There is nothing better than a good book. I was the kid...and now the adult...that can stay up all night reading.

    5. Sadly, it only gets a 1. It over promised and under delivered. I think she and her dad were kooks and it was confirmed for me when she changed her name in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I ditto what both Erin and Hillary said. I thought the book was going to be sort of - life lessons from books they had read.

    2. I like that they took their Streak so seriously. Maybe they thought it was one thing in life that they definitely had control over.

    3. I'm doing good to take my vitamins on a daily basis, and that takes all of 10 seconds. I'm not sure I could make such a huge commitment.

    4. My memories of reading as a child.....always getting made fun of by my younger/cooler brother. He thought I was such a nerd and bookworm. I loved all the Ramona books, Babysitters Club, and the Anne of Green Gables series. I could definitely read AGG over and over. In fact, I have. I read it to every class I taught - 8 years in a row, and it never grew old.

    5. I am the one who suggested this book, and I apologize that it didn't live up to our expectations. I would give it a 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. It was pretty much what I thought it would be, though a bit juvenile. I also wish she had delved into the stories more. I liked the Dicey's Song part and how she discovered that her father was hiding parts that he was uncomfortable with and she felt compassion for him. I also thought the prom dress search was so sweet. Must have been hard growing up without her mother's involvement for things like that.

    2. I guess it was important to them because they had a good thing going and once you get so far, it's so sad to have it end.

    3. I was telling Hannah about the book today and she said we are already doing it, just not counting. :)

    4. I was read to all the time as a child. I specifically remember my mom reading Charlotte's Web to all three of us. We sat on the floor of my room every night with that book. My mom was a first grade teacher and so she knew how important reading is. I have to read every night too. I also find myself sneaking in little bits here and there throughout the day, like if Hannah's busy somewhere I can pull out a New Yorker article from my purse.

    5. We really get to know the family well, which was neat. I guess I was disappointed too with the simplicity of the book. I agree with a 2 rating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here are some questions I can think of:

    6. Do you like hearing books read aloud? What is the difference in reading a book yourself, listening to it and seeing the words and pages, or listening to it but not seeing the words? (I can't do books on tape... must see the words.)

    7. What are your memories of your elementary school librarian?

    8. How do you think reading is important to developing the child herself, not just as a reader but as a whole person?

    9. Just as Alice and her dad share a love for literature, what do you share a love of with each of your parents?

    10. Do you think library time should be spent on computers, as it was heading toward at Alice's dad's school? We live in a high tech society and all our kids spend time on ipads, etc. You know they will be using computers much of their futures in school already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I too thought this book was going to be a chapter to chapter look at books and how they related to their lives..
    2. I think they enjoyed having something constant everyday to do together. The father/daughter relationship they had was closeness in their own way..
    3. I just realized that I have read to Emma or her dad has everyday since she has been born, but poor Carter I find it harder to read aloud too.. Emma is sooo interested in books and enjoys them and knows that it is part of her bedtime routine and she knows she gets 3 books read outloud to her since she is 3:) She then says she will have 4 books read outloud when she is 4 and so on.. Yikes, might have to skip to chapters by then:)
    4.Erin, I loved Snow Flower and Secret Fan.. I loved reading as a child and still do now.. I do panic if I don't have something to read, magazines, articles, books, emails:)
    My mom made a book club for me when I was little that if I read a certain number of books or for a certain amount of minutes I would get a new Babysitter's Club book:) Loved that series.. Oh my, I loved Amelia Bedelia and whenever I read them to Emma, she says this is your favorite book Mama:) Loved Ramona, Judy Blume and Beverly Clearly... I am enjoying reading outloud the Arthur books, Pinkilicious and Clifford books to my kids now:)
    I give this book a 2.5 since it got me thinking about reading more for myself and my kids and getting them more excited about reading:)

    ReplyDelete