Monday, November 7, 2011

December Book Club Choices

Happy November to all..     I thought I would post the next book selections now since I am heading out of the UK to the states in a few weeks for Thanksgiving:)  

The Last Time I saw you- Elizabeth Berg

As onetime classmates meet up over the course of a weekend for their fortieth high school reunion, they discover things that will irrevocably affect the rest of their lives. For newly divorced Dorothy, the reunion brings with it the possibility of finally attracting the attention of the class heartthrob. For the ever self-reliant, ever left-out Mary Alice, it’s a chance to reexamine a painful past. For Lester, a veterinarian and widower, it is the hope of talking shop with a fellow vet—or at least that’s what he tells himself. For Candy, the class beauty, it’s the hope of finding friendship before it’s too late. As these and other classmates converge for the reunion dinner, four decades melt away: desires and personalities from their youth reemerge, and new discoveries are made. For so much has happened to them all. And so much can still happen.

Between Sisters- Kristen Hannah

Years ago, Meghann Dontess made a terrible choice that cost her everything, including the love of her sister, Claire. Now, Meghann is a highly successful attorney who doesn’t believe in intimacy–until she meets the one man who can change her mind. Claire Cavenaugh has fallen in love for the first time in her life. As her wedding day approaches, she prepares to face her strong-willed older sister. Reunited after more than two decades apart, these two women who believe they have nothing in common will try to become what they never were: a family. Tender, funny, bittersweet, and moving, Between Sisters skillfully explores the profound joys and sorrows shared by sisters, the mistakes made in the name of love, and the promise of redemption–all beautifully told by acclaimed author Kristin Hannah.

She's Come Undone- Wally Lamb
In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Wally Lamb invites us to hitch a wild ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years.
Meet Dolores Price. She's 13, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood goodbye. Stranded in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herself with the Mallomars, potato chips, and Pepsi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally orbits into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion and give herself one more chance before she really goes under.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm....just the other day I had the Elizabeth Berg book in my hand, but put it back on the shelf for another day. I already read the Wally Lamb one--and loved it. The Kristen Hannah one sounds great. What to vote for? Perhaps I will let majority rule or come in as a tie breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices Amanda. My vote is the Kristen Hannah book, but they all sound good. Can't wait for our next choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS-Me again, i will put up questions for the Reading Promise in about a week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kristen Hannah- I vote for that one too!

    I am going to try my best to get the Reading Promise bought or checked out and read this weekend.

    Forgive me if that doesn't happen? It's been quite a month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Between Sisters too. Great choices!!

    ReplyDelete