9. What is the significance of Jane Eyre to the story?
10. Do you think it is harder to keep a secret or confess the complete truth?
11. Were you satisfied with the way the story ended for various characters--Aurelius, Hester, Margaret?
12. Rate The Thirteenth Tale on a scale of 1 to 5.
9. What is the significance of Jane Eyre to the story?
ReplyDeleteThe madwoman in the attic? The gothic setting? Strong female characters? The dysfunction? The fire? The character flaws? The air thick with secrets? Are you kidding? Margaret herself reads mostly 19th century literature for pleasure. Still, I was annoyed with the Jane Eyre references. I felt at one point that maybe I should just pick up that and read that instead. I don’t like when the author makes the reader do the work themselves rather than fleshing out a character more.
10. Do you think it is harder to keep a secret or confess the complete truth?
Hmm. I see that Vida Winter liked her fabrications more than her own truth. I think that’s why it’s more fun to hear another’s story than to tell your own… we already know our own stories.
11. Were you satisfied with the way the story ended for various characters--Aurelius, Hester, Margaret?
I did not like that the ending wasn’t the ending. There are some books where I am dying for more, but for some reason this book kept going on and on and on. I didn’t need to know what happened to these people or to Margaret herself. Sometimes I like guessing what happened to the characters.
The portrayal of these minor characters was good, but it could have been more fleshed out.
12. Rate The Thirteenth Tale on a scale of 1 to 5.
This is tough for me because I felt there were some plot holes throughout. It all wraps up in the end, but rather oddly I think. I don’t like that she built the story around a deception. I suppose there were clues, but I still felt that she invented a third sister at the end out of nowhere. It changed the way I saw the book and the storytelling, not in a good way.
I don’t think Setterfleld did anything novel with this story. In the end, I thought it was not believable. The story wraps up quickly after much buildup, like Setterfield got tired and just quit. I give it a 3.
9. I am not sure what the reference was, at one point I recall that it made a connection with the page in Aurelias' bag, but can't remember what it was now. But from Naomi's comment, sounds like perhaps there were numerous reasons it came up again and again.
ReplyDelete10. I am a very truthful person, so for me, harder to keep a secret. I can do it, and I have, but I think it would be so hard to live with all those lies all those years, but perhaps after some time, the stories become your new truth?
11. I liked the ending, and I actually liked the bit after the fact that explained what happened after the story was over. I like things to be tied up and I was glad to know what she did with the story, and how the truth changed all their lives.
12. I would rate this a 4. I enjoyed it a lot, but for some reason was not compelled to stay up at night and read and read, such as the last Jodi Piccoult, for me, this took a bit longer to read. I can't put my finger on why. I thought that the third sister did not come out of no where, but rather she had been alluding to her throughout, I just missed the obvious.
Oh one other thing I wanted to talk about, the ACTUAL thirteenth tale, it was not this tale of her life, but that little Cinderella's child, which I thought was odd. Anyone have any ideas on that? Or maybe if I knew what the first 12 were, the 13th would fit in?
E-- the 13th tale is Vida Winter's real life story. I think. :)
ReplyDeleteI would love to hear what other people think too, because I thought that, until Margaret got that letter from the lawyer with the short story inside, so then I felt like that was the 13th tale, not much of anything, but almost like the whole allure of her first book that propelled her into famous status was meant to be just a mystery...there did not really even need to be another great tale, but rather something for people to look for and wonder about...again, the secrets and lies...
ReplyDelete10. I think it's definitely harder to keep a secret- but like Erin, I'm truthful- I try to be an open book. Maybe it's easier because I don't have any skeletons in my closet though!
ReplyDelete11. I loved the character of Aurelius, and it made me so happy that he found a family and happiness. The other characters- I think it;s kind of cheesy that Hester ended up with the doctor, but whatever. Margaret- eh. I still wish something more exciting would have happened to her, besides getting a cat :)
12. I loved the book- I'd give it a 4.5- like I said before, it was SOO different than the things I usually like, so I'm so excited that I liked it. I was confused about the "THirteenth Tale" thing too- but it makes sense that it was her story- but I'm with you, I think we should have had some knowledge of the other 12.
Great choice Sarah!
10. I come from a family that tends to dwell in secrets, so I try to always be open.
ReplyDelete11. I liked having all the bows tied up, although I admit it did make a bit too neat of a package. And Elizabeth, Margaret didn't just get a cat - she was going to spend some time with Ms. Winter's literary loving doctor also! Hubba hubba - at least I hope... that girl needed some action away from her books!
12. I give the book a 4.5. I really, really enjoyed it and thought it was a fun modernization of a gothic novel. I agree that the 13th tale was Vita's story, but I REALLY found myself wishing I could read all twelve of them!
I am sorry to say that I have not read Jane Eyre and I really want to now..:)
ReplyDeleteI try to be open all the time too, but sometimes it harder to tell the truth for fear of disappointing people or afraid of what the outcome will be.
I was satisfied by the way the story ended and it not want it end, I wanted more secrets to reveal...
I rate the book at 4.6.