Friday, October 14, 2011

A Thirteenth Tale: Bookclub Discussion II

5. Why do you think Margaret's sister's death affected her so profoundly? Why do you think she was able to move beyond it at the end of the novel?

6. After Mrs. Dunne and John Digence die, Miss Winter says "the girl in the mist" emerges. Did you believe that Adeline had matured? If not, did you suspect the true identity of the character?

7. When did you first suspect Miss Winter's true identity? Were you surprised? Looking back, what clues did she give you?

8. Do you think Adeline or Emmeline was saved from the fire?

4 comments:

  1. 5. This was the one part of the novel that I did not care for, I could not relate at all and could not understand why she could not move on. I am not saying it is easy to move on from a death of a loved one, but she never knew her sister, yes, they were conjoined, but I wanted her to snap out of it and grow up if you will. At the end she was able to move on because she saw her sister who said that she would be waiting for her, or something like that, so for her it was some kind of closure. Now I am an only child, so if anyone has some insight into sibling relationships would love the discussion.

    6. I COMPLETELY missed this, I thought that Adeline had matured and that in some ways she was putting on an act. Or that she was say bi-polar and when forced, pulled it together. Very very witty the way she told this story...I did not see the truth at all.

    7. Umm...never? It was not until they told that there was a third red haired girl that I clued in that she was that girl. I like when things come together and you can think back and previous comments make sense etc. I was very surprised, I think I thought the twins were wittier then they were, and thus when two were accounted for and the third was seen by say Hester, I assumed one had escaped.

    8. I think Adeline was saved from the fire, by accident, by Vida Winters. So so sad. Emmeline died, whom they both loved, and Adeline and Vida Winters were forced to continue, under secrets and oddness. I guess it makes sense now that when Vida Winters first talked about the fire and was saying Emmeline's name, it was because she was lost, not because she was hurt...ahh, just thought about that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5. I agree with Erin- I found Margaret to be a bit exasperating. But, I think if I were in her position I would be most upset that my parents had lied to me, not that I was actually a twin.

    6. I kind of suspected there were 3 when HEster thought she saw a ghost when she and the doctor were keeping A and E seperated. Suspected- but didn't really dwell on it. So I was suprised when it was revealed.

    7. I didn't suspect AT ALL. Maybe I'm not a very observant reader, but I didn't see clues at all. Although I kept wondering how crazy Adeline would turn into Britains most famous novelist!

    8. I agree- I think it was Adeline who was saved. The "good" twin, Emmeline, died- so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5. I think Margaret mourned her sister, but I think a great deal of her obsession stemmed from what her twin's death caused - the severing of her mother's mental stability and the related death of Margaret's chance to have a normal childhood and life.

    6./ 7. I started to suspect when Vita switched her pronouns from 'they' and 'her' to 'us' and 'I', and when she started speaking at John's funeral. I didn't, however, figure out the details before the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been fascinated by twins and how there are certain studies with twins, like they are raised apart, do they still like the same things.. I think Margaret's whole life was the way it was because she was a twin.
    I did not suspect Miss Winter's true identity until the very end and even then I was shocked.

    ReplyDelete