Thursday, October 13, 2011

November Book Choices

I am more of a lightweight when it comes to reading.  If my choices sound extremely boring, I apologize.

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross
When Hazel Marie Puckett and her nine-year-old son, Little Lloyd, show up on Julia Springer's doorstep in Abbotsford, North Carolina, Miss Julia receives the shock of her long and proper life. After 44 years of marriage to pillar-of-church-and-community Wesley Lloyd Springer, she discovers that while she had assumed he was working late at the family bank, he was engaged in other, more carnal, pursuits. For, as Hazel Marie shyly explains, Little Lloyd is Miss Julia's late husband's son. His arrival in Miss Julia's life sets off a chain of events that involves a hypocritical minister, a violent beating, a crooked televangelist, a high-speed car chase, a kidnapping, and a surprising revelation about her late husband's will. Miss Julia not only speaks her mind but also comes to a deeper understanding of the meaning of love, friendship, and trust. 


The Reading Promise by Alice Ozma
When Alice Ozma was in 4th grade, she and her father decided to see if he could read aloud to her for 100 consecutive nights. On the hundreth night, they shared pancakes to celebrate, but it soon became evident that neither wanted to let go of their storytelling ritual. So they decided to continue what they called "The Streak." Alice's father read aloud to her every night without fail until the day she left for college.  Alice approaches her book as a series of vignettes about her relationship with her father and the life lessons learned from the books he read to her.


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Grade 7 Up -In a not-too-distant future, the United States of America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war, to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year, two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcasted throughout Panem as the 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as the mining district's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, the son of the town baker who seems to have all the fighting skills of a lump of bread dough, will be pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives. 

9 comments:

  1. They all sound good T! I vote Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for Miss Julia as well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Reading Promise...I remember seeing something about it on the Today Show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Reading Promise gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reading promise is my vote as well. Thanks for getting the choices up Traci!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh... I'm setting a tie with Miss Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun, Traci, you are up to break the tie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, so I am going to have to change my vote to The Reading Promise.. Just checked my library in Scotland and they only have the Reading Promise there:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So it looks like it's The Reading Promise. Correct? I still want to read Miss Julia, but I'm happy with the other also!

    ReplyDelete