Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tuesday Topic

This has been floating around the web, but in case anyone has not read it, wanted to post and perhaps we can just talk about what we thought.

http://www.rageagainsttheminivan.com/2012/05/where-is-mommy-war-for-motherless-child.html

Also, I will never kick anyone out of the group, was just trying to get a feel if people were interested in being a part of the book club anymore. We will go ahead and discuss The Art of Hearing Heartbeats in a month, on June 15th, and then pick a new book at that time.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

9 comments:

  1. Amen! Totally agree with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this article was amazingly well written. I have no more to say except it is brilliant and I completely agree as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too agree, but what am I doing about it--nothing, and that's unacceptable. I don't belong to any activist groups, I don't feed the homeless, I don't tutor at-risk kids...and why not? Perhaps I'm too busy taking my daughter to lessons, buying brand new pjs for pj day at school or doing something else considered "privileged" in many societies. Oh and when I'm not doing that I'm usually complaining about how tired I am. Not for a minute do I think my life is silly or frivolous, but when you're faced with facts like these it does give me pause. I'm sure we all have room in our lives to do something on a small scale that could make a big difference to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article. I just found out that one of my students from my very first year teaching just had a baby. She is 17!!! There is not much support for at risk parents and 16 and pregnant and Teen Mom are maybe not helping the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I am SO SICK of the "Mommy Wars" thing. She's right- where is the outrage for these motherless kids? Ryan teaches several group home kids- kids whose parents gave up their parental rights (and responsibilites too) because they couldn't handle their kids. And we wonder why these kids are out of control and throwing desks at their teachers (true story).

    Here's another link with similar perspective (warning- graphic image)

    http://itsalmostnaptime.blogspot.com/2012/05/happy-perspective-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hillary, great point, I too do nothing about it and really was enlightened by the article about the many many children needing help/homes in the USA. I used to be an avid volunteerer, perhaps I can find a piece of that back when both girls are in school in the fall. It would be nice to make the world a bit of a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And E, I want to click on the link, but am too nervous about the graphic image...is it that different that I should suck it up and click? Or is the pic of malnourished children etc...not sure I can handle...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its a picture of the Time cover (first world problems) and then a picture of a malnourished boy looking down at a dead baby in a grave (third world problems) and it says Which Offends you More?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh heavens. Thanks for the warning. What a powerful image and true statement, really, why all the mommy wars at all? And really, who started all this? It really struck me when this author said, "why are we fighting over what competent loving mothers are choosing to do?" Bigger fish out there...bigger fish...

    ReplyDelete