I am sure this will come as no surprise since this book was not even at the library, there are no book club questions out there on the great internet for me to pull from, so I am just pulling these together from my memory, please ask additional questions etc in the comments as we discuss.
1. Did you enjoy the book? Did you learn anything surprising?
2. The business model for Hobby Lobby is very different then other retailers, how has this worked to their advantage? Disadvantage?
3. Any thoughts as to the "religion in the store"? Make you want to shop there more/less?
4. Final thoughts and rate the book 1-5 stars.
Also, if you have not voted for the next book, please do so by tonight so we can start reading for April, thanks!
1. I really enjoyed this book, I found it a quick read and really found it interesting to learn about the business model and how they are different, they know they are different, and pride themselves on it.
ReplyDelete2. I found all the ways that they do business different very interesting. The fact that they are a family owned company gives them more freedom, and it was refreshing. I love that they focus on the customer, and try and make it easier for us to shop. I found the whole "we don't use computers" interesting, as I know this, and I guess I see the reason...this way the people know the stock and inventory. And I loved reading that there is always supposed to be x stock of each item at any time...which means I should be able to find what I need! :o) I also thought it was interesting how they keep ONE central warehouse, and use their own trucks to get it to the stores. Also, that they make what they can not find at a cheap price. Really I commend them on their business model. I like it.
3. The religion in the store does not bother me at all. I get annoyed when I want to shop on Sunday and they are not open, but same as Chic Fil A, I'm annoyed because I am used to things any time I want it, and really that is not necessary. Yes, I can plan my craft needs and shop on Saturday. I applaud them for being closed on Sundays, and closing for the day earlier so that people can be with their families. And I thought it was interesting that while yes, sales took a dip in the beginning, they rose back up, because again, nothing they sell is a necessity...so I can just buy it another day.
One thing that I also know is that I won't ever find any Judaica in the store, not one sticker for Hanukkah etc. This is a bit frustrating, but only in the last few years, and I mean FEW have stores such as Target and Michaels carried things, which I wildly support, so yes HL is missing this segment, but clearly it is not big enough that they care to change...and again, their choice. Really they can run their business any way they want, it is my choice to shop there or not.
4. Loved it, thanks for reading it with me. I love HL and will shop there even more now...I give the book 4 stars (as it was great, but not a fine piece of literature to me or anything, I reserve 5 stars for what I would read again and again...)
1. I too really enjoyed the book. It was an easy read that held my attention. I don't know if I found the part about alcohol not so much surprising, but interesting- especially to learn that the company lost millions of dollars on that one store they wouldn't sublease to a liquor store. I find their decision very honorable- nothing against liquor stores, but that he decided it wouldn't benefit the neighborhood.
ReplyDelete2. I think their business model has worked out great in some ways- obviously they are a very successful chain. I'm not sure I agree totally with his stance on computers- I think it's annoying when I'm checking out and the clerk has to refer to her flier almost every product- but I get that it would be extrememly expensive to upgrade to POS at this point.
3. Being a Christian, I like to hear the instrumental hyms and such being played, and I appreciate their focus on Christian values. I do understand your point Erin, about being frustrated there's no items from your religion, but like you said, it's their business, their choice.
4. 4 stars for me too. I know next time I am shopping at HL I will think about the book when I see merchandising displays, sales, etc.
By the way , great questions Erin. Sounds like and official "book club list of questions"!
Great questions. Will answer this weekend...
ReplyDelete1. I really enjoyed the book and liked learning what made Hobby Lobby so successful. I loved going to that store when we lived there but I found myself wanting to go every Sunday:( I was shocked to find out that it was closed every Sunday, along with Chic-fil-a.. But I got over it and went different days.. I am glad that they continue to be so successful despite being closed one day a week, especially when there are some problems going on with the economy:)
ReplyDelete2. I did find the check out annoying since it was slower then most checkouts, especially annoying when you have kids in tow, but I continued to go there.
3. The religion of the store again shocked me since they were closed on Sundays and wouldn't sell certain items, but to each their own:) It was a warm friendly store and I liked going there..
4. 4 stars for me. I enjoy books that really keep me hooked and want to find out more. I feel like I would like to run into the CEO sometime and chit chat with him:)
Looking forward to the next book too:)
1. I loved reading the book and learning about how the store operates. I don't really have much to add to our discussion, I'm afraid.
ReplyDelete2. I really admire the owner and how he runs the business. I like that it's family-owned and that he was honest about meetings, management decisions, etc. That every decision is well-thought out made me feel more confident about them.
3. The religion thing still bothers me, even having read the book. Not necessarily the music or the overtly Christian items they sell, but the fact that they choose not to sell anything else. I wonder if they are evangelical in the fact that they think that by selling Chanukah items or things from other religious customs, they are detracting from converting everyone to Christianity, etc? It did no good as far as I can tell, but I told the Sugar Land HL and the Meyerland HL managers that I would buy those items if they stocked them. I know that they don't make decisions based on what would make them $$ or for a tiny niche of their customers, so I don't know why this bothers me so much! If they were a public company, they couldn't exclude people like that, right? Not sure.
I also like knowing that each department manager is responsible for his own section. I can understand why they don't like Hannah to play there, even though I always put things back. In my experience, most of the employees are not very customer-friendly and the book didn't address that so much. When I go to Michaels, the workers always greet me enthusiastically, ask if I'm finding what I'm looking for, open new registers if there's a long line, etc. It's nearly always the opposite at HL.
When I was buying some large picture frames recently, Hannah was trapped in the shopping cart seat and it was folding in on her and I asked the checker for some help and they STILL weren't nice. AND another of my peeves anywhere, but it always seems to happen to me there, is when I'm in a very long line and another register opens up and even though I've been waiting for 15 minutes, the very last person in line gets to go to the new line? How on earth is that fair? And I've got a kid?! I KNOW it's a choice to shop there, but sometimes I choose not to because it's such a hassle every time. Goodness, I didn't know I had so much to say!
4. REALLY enjoyed learning more about how the store operates and I couldn't wait to go there after I read the book. 4 stars.
P.S. I love that some of their items are handmade. Now when I look at the pillows there, I picture some little old lady sitting and making them. :) I do not ever feel good about buying things made in mass or overseas for low wages.
ReplyDelete