Thursday, September 15, 2011

House Rules: Discussion III

9. Do you know anyone with Asperger's syndrome? Did the descriptions of Jacob fit what you know of that person?

10. ‘“We’ve always said that Asperger’s isn’t a disability … just a different ability”‘ (p.265).
What did you know about autism and AS before reading House Rules? Did the novel challenge your views on the subject, or on disability more generally? Is it an educational book?

11. Have you read other books by this author? How did this compare for you? 

12. Rate House Rules on a scale of 1 to 5.

7 comments:

  1. 9. It was suggested by a doctor to my parents when my brother Matthew was in high school that he may have a mild Aspergers. I agree with that diagnosis. He is OBSESSED with music-and you could say he's a musical/composing genius. It's his whole life- he eats, sleeps and breathes it (just like Jacob and the forensics). He's very, very clumsy, which I didn't know was a symptom of AS until reading this book. He IS social, but a little "off". For example, we think it's hilarious the way he talks to Grayson. He talks to him like he's 30 years old- "Hey Man. How are you?" If he does have AS, it's mild, and he is definitely functional (well, most of the time- ha!) but I wouldn't say he's your normal 22 year old college kid.

    10. I learned SO much about AS and autism reading this book- JP definitely does her research. In some ways, AS is a different ability. For example, like I said above, my brother is a musical genius- it's not a disability, he's just different. However, Jacob was definitely impaired in life- he needed psychiatric, diet, and sensory therapies just to function.

    11. I have read a lot of JP books, and love them all- I really can't pick a favorite. I was excited that this is my second JP in row to read that no one died at the end- woo hoo!

    12. I give House Rules a 4.5. The only things that I wasn't crazy about were 1. why didn't they ask Jacob flat out what happened? and 2. I found the romance between Emma and Oliver(that was their names right?)totally stupid and unbelievable- I don't think it was necessary to the story. Other than that- LOVED IT and those of you who didn't read it yet really should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 9. Elizabeth, that is very interesting about your brother. I wonder if today, they would classify some people with these extraordinary talents in one area on the AS spectrum as we know more and more about it. Sort of like when we were young not that many people had ADD, but they probably did, there was just no diagnosis, they were just overly active etc. I do not know anyone personally with autism.

    10. I found this book VERY educational and agree that those of you that did not get to read it, you should. It was very interesting and I feel like I have a clear picture into their home and a look into the lives of all touched by having a family member on the AS spectrum. It was interesting to learn that it is so lonely for Emma, and she really has no one to turn to. We don't do a great job of embracing differences in society and we need to do a better job, bc there is no wrong, I like the term, different abilities. Everyone has things that make them special, and it is what makes them who they are. It was also fascinating to read about the therapies and diet changes etc, I knew of some of those, but it was very informative to read about them all in one place as related to one person.

    11. I too have read numerous JP books and enjoyed them all. I am currently reading "Sing You Home", her newest one that Elizabeth wrote about a bit ago. She truly is a master of her craft and she pushes the edge of controversial issues and makes you think as you read.

    12. I give it 5 stars. Could not put it down. Wanted more at the end. All in all, a great book. (But I agree, could have done without the romance between the mom and lawyer, but I did like that he was nice to her and helped her in life, when no one had done that for years...it was nice to see some kindness come her way.)

    Looking forward to the next pick, Sarah, do you still want to pick the next one? If not, we can catch you next time and move on to Traci. Would like to have it picked by the end of the week so we can start reading for October, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now I really want to read this book for sure! Elizabeth, that's so neat about your brother and I love that you learned more about his "symptoms" by reading this book. I have a cousin with autism and she operates on the level of a 4 year old. It's hard to even be around her sometimes. As long as I can remember, she only talks about The Monkeys and The Beatles, and by talk I mean every so often she'll say "Davey? Paul?"
    I am so sorry I couldn't participate much in the discussion this week. I missed you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have known a few people with Autism and AS while teaching and after. Once you know how to teach the way they know how to learn or what works best for them, it makes it easier. I think this book was a good educational book on the subject. I miss teaching:(
    I give the book 5 stars.
    I have read 5 other JP books . I like the newer ones better then the ones that are older.. Nineteen Minutes was good one..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for the next book.. Just seeing if anyone knew what the next book was or might be since I have to order at library to put on hold:) Things take a bit longer here in the UK:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah is up to pick if she wants. If not, let me know and I'll offer up some choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ladies, I'm so sorry for my lack of participation! On top of the move, I'm currently without a laptop after my power supply exploded and electrocuted me (it's been quite a week). I would love to pick the next books... I will do some looking tonight and get back to y'all!

    ReplyDelete